Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What's the deal with "epic spam"? In other words, it tells some grandiose story? Is it to penetrate the spam filter and do devilish things later on? Is this the intent?

So, I've read this one to no less than three people, each of whom has stared at me like I'm nuts. It's just this: I can picture these people in Eastern European boiler rooms, doing lotto scams off one laptop, then crafting this strange, semi-literate prose on the other. Evil geniuses, the lot of them. See if you agree. This appeared in my mail box last week with the subject line of "Prince Ritually" (Sounds like an Ellora's Cave novel, right there.)


He sounds, said Sir Lawrence, the very man. I thinkits ridiculous his being married so young. Hes on a railway board; hes the figurehead of his countyscricket, and chairman of a big hospital. Hardly that, murmured Sir Lawrence; merely unusual, like mostmembers of really old families. Then, said Michael, with a sigh, theres nothing in this schemethat appeals to you, sir?

Were not going any way, said Fleur, theres only pace.
By the way, have you had your own kitchenelectrified?

And the poorer children are, the more they cling to their gutters,as I was telling you. Blakes New Jerusalem was, surely, based on Keating, and Keating was based on a sensitive skin.

But,you see, Ive tried Foggartism and everybodys too sane to look atit.
There must be direction, my child, underneath. The prevailing colour is that of the Ganges. CHAPTER VMEASLESThe diagnosis of Kits malady was soon verified, and Fleur wentinto purdah. The two Monts looked at each other; the excuse was patent, and theyhad not foreseen it. Ifthere is anything shorter than the publics memory, I am not awareof it. Well, you can take it from me that its nearly all heredity. The two Monts moved slowly towards Mount Street in the last of thetwilight. The butler came back, and, opening a door, said:In here, sir. For better or worse; but thats direction in itself

And, to Michael bending down to kiss her, sheinclined her cheek. We must strike while the strike is on, said the Marquess. Youre for it, as they say inthis Bonzoid age. Youcould fat a slum population, but you cant change their character! If he would give me the market price, whatever that maybe, it might solve the problem.
There was no otherreason why he should ask her.
Good-bye, dear Fleur; with all sympathy,Your affectionate friend,JON.
Dont wake him if hes asleep, said Sir Lawrence. Good-bye, dear Fleur; with all sympathy,Your affectionate friend,JON. Dwellon the slums, mention the names we hope to get, and leave the restto him.

Soames, who was notyet entirely resigned to a spiritual life, was genuinely glad tosee her. Its more like the East than anything else inLondon.
Besides, we dontreally like it in this country, Michael.


All right, if you made it this far, can we just say this--a spammer, tossing Keats and Blake. I say a frustrated intellectual reduced to Russian mafia online scammer. I can think as outlandishly as he/she can. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

Seriously? I think they do this to outwit spam filters! You know how you can block certain phrases? Well, if they just randomly cut and paste literature quotes, who's going to catch that? So they have a captive audience. Wouldn't it be nice to have such leisure in your life that you had nothing better to do than spam people??
:-)
Shannon

5:40 PM  
Blogger The Girl You Used to Know said...

It tugged at my heartstrings a little.

I kinda liked it.

I almost clicked the paypal link and gave them all my passwords, my blood type, and my fingerprints.

Almost.

6:29 PM  
Blogger athene said...

Deidre ~

I was deeply moved by your first stories...so you'll always be Rosdeidre to me :) Today I had the urge to read them again, and rosdeidre.com no longer exists? Is there anywhere else online I could see them? I'm desperate!
ALSO! I can't wait to read your Parallel books! While I was searching for the "radiohead" ;) and AS series I saw what you're up to and I'm so happy for you! This must be funny coming from a complete stranger, but your stories meant so much to me. They transcended a genre that can attract a lot of crazies...your work in that time was beautiful. thank you for that.

6:11 PM  
Blogger athene said...

PS ~
if you have a chance to get back to me (no presh) my email is left_normal@yahoo.com. I haven't checked my blogger in a while.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Deidre Knight said...

Wow! Thank you, Athene! This post just came through on my email and I had to reply immediately. Writing fic was a big part of my journey as an author. In fact, you'll love my PARALLEL novels becasue they totally grew out of things I tried at that time, ways I wanted to push the boundaries. So you should check out PARALLEL ATTRACTION. Thank you so much for letting me know what those early stories meant to you. That really moves me. Big hugs!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like an excerpt from John Galsworthy's "Forsyte Saga," it's probably Swan Song or The Silver Spoon. Fleur Forsyte is married to Michael Mont, an MP supporter of Foggartism...it's an excelln novel series as well as TV series, there was a BBC production in the late 60s and a later remake in the 90s, both available on DVD.
Jay
borboletta1969@hotmail.com

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats